risk factors are
occupation squatting and kneeling
sports or repetitive motions
some of the treatment plan :
Here is the management of knee pain related to osteoarthritis;
1) Knee care in the activities of daily living. Few simple self-care measures can be remarkably effective in ending pain cycle. Avoid prolonged standing and sitting at a single stretch. Respect your pain and avoid painful activities.
2) Rest: Taking a break from your normal activities reduces repetitive strain on your knee, gives the injury time to heal and helps prevent further damage.
4) Physical therapy; the goal of physical therapy is to strengthen the muscles around your knee and help you regain knee stability. Ideal is supervised physical therapy.
5) Orthotics and bracing.
6) Glucosamine and chondroitin orally for about 1-2 years.
7) Hyaluronic acid injections in knee.
8) Local sprays and ointments to your skin may help relieve the pain and stiffness of osteoarthritis.
9) Electrotherapy by physical therapist.
all these might help in your case .if not check with your doctor for further inverstigations